Understanding Your Garage Door:
Before attempting any kind of garage door repair, it is important to have a basic understanding of how your garage door operates. Most garage doors open using a spring system that helps carry the weight of the door. When a garage door is malfunctioning, it is often a problem with the spring system. Your garage door has either a torsion or extension spring. The type of spring system will determine how you repair it.
Garage doors can be very dangerous when not handled properly, accounting for 30,000+ injuries in the US each year. Before making any repairs, disconnect the garage door opener and never remove any bolts or brackets that are directly attached to the spring, in order to avoid any accidents. Always wear safety glasses while working on a garage door. For a complete educational experience, explore Discover this valuable research suggested external website. It provides supplementary and worthwhile details on the subject, assisting you in expanding your knowledge of the topic. Garage Door Openers Barrie!
How to Identify the Problem:
A basic rule of thumb is to diagnose the symptoms of the problem first rather than the cause. This will make the repair process easier. For instance, if the door is lowering too fast, it could be a problem with the cables or worn-out springs. Listen for any noises that might indicate the problem. Pay close attention to the garage door when it opens and closes to see whether there are any stuttering movements or whether it opens unevenly.
1. Lubrication: The first and easiest way to fix garage door problems is to lubricate the rollers, track, hinges, and springs of the garage door with a high-quality silicone lubricant.
2. Tightening of nuts and bolts: Overtime, the nuts and bolts that hold the garage door in place can loosen up. Check to see whether this is the problem and tighten all nuts and bolts.
3. Garage door balance test: An unbalanced garage door can lead to premature wear and tear on the tracks and rollers. To test the balance, disconnect the opener and manually lift the garage door. Is the door holding when lifted half way? If no, it is unbalanced and you should call for professional help.
4. Garage door spring replacement: Garage door springs have a limited lifespan and can wear out. Torsion springs will last for approximately 10,000 cycles or six to ten years, while extension springs can last up to 15 years. If you notice that your garage door is sagging or unsteady, there may be a problem with the springs. Make sure to get the proper replacement spring based on the type and weight of your garage door.
5. Garage door cable replacement: Garage door cables are what keeps the door’s weight off the opener. If you see signs of wear, such as fraying or kinking, it is time to replace them.
If you are not comfortable with the repair, calling in assistance from a professional is always a good idea. A professional garage door repair company can diagnose any issues with your door and provide the expertise to fix the problem safely and efficiently.
DIY garage door repair requires safety precautions, basic understanding, and a calm approach. Don’t hesitate to call professionals for help, especially when dealing with the garage door opener or more complicated problems. Following these tips will help ensure a smooth and safe repair. Check out this external source to obtain more details on the topic. Garage Door Openers Barrie, dive deeper into the subject.